Somerset West, Stellenbosch, Strand, Gordons Bay
Parental counselling: Supporting You in supporting your child
Having worked with eating disorders and other forms of addiction for over a decade, I have full appreciation for the turmoil and emotional trauma these conditions can inflict on family members. As parents you may feel angry, helpless, disappointed, or as though you have failed your child. At the same time I counselled and provided therapeutic support to young people facing adjustment problems because of divorce, a change in schools, academic and career choices. Through parental counselling, I can help you make sense of what is happening, I can support you in supporting your child.
Parental counselling will assist you in:
- Clarifying your values and defining your own philosophy of parenting
- Addressing your own individual needs and frustrations as a parent and helping you make positive changes to improve your parenting skills and your life as a whole
- Addressing the effect of stress and anxiety on your family life and help you find the best ways of resolving it
- Becoming mindful and aware of your child’s experiences and needs in order to maintain a strong connection with your child
- Avoiding unnecessary conflict at home as a result of an eating disorder or addiction or any issue crippling your relationship with your child.
- Developing conflict resolution strategies
- Learning positive communication
- Remaining hopeful at all times in order to facilitate healthy growth and change
“I am so thankful to be alive and was indeed lucky to have had Joan as my psychological counsellor. Having been lost in anorexia’s black hole of nothingness, Joan never gave up on me, her commitment to my journey will always be treasured by myself and my family”.
“Joan’s appreciation of life and all things beautiful convinced me that I too can live without ongoing chaos caused by alcohol controlling my life. The journey to let go was hard with many setbacks. Joan’s ongoing commitment to my journey is what pulled me through. I can stand back in appreciation and look how far I have come, knowing I will never ever go back to where I was.”
“I am so grateful I took my daughter to see Joan when I did. Joan has a very unusual way of working with young people. She connects with them at a very deep level and gain their trust right at the start. After only one session with Joan I could see the difference in my child. She was smiling again after a very long time! “
“Four years after I lost my first wife I decided to remarry. It was hard for my children aged 10 and 12 to accept some-one new. Always sensitive to our difficulties, Joan assisted us individually and together to build and strengthen family ties. She supported us in the healing process and enabled us all to move forward.”
“By treating me not as a patient, but as a person – as a friend – Joan gained my trust, and I valued what she had to say. She showed me ways of getting back in touch with myself. Ways of getting to know myself again. I now have plans for my life. I have dreams and ambitions and I feel I have potential”
“We experienced relationship problems, causing our marriage to suffer. We contracted with Joan for a few sessions. Joan has a heart for people and a passion for what she is doing. Her friendly, yet professional manner of dealing with people is something which comes very naturally for her, something which immediately made us very comfortable with her and really impressed us. It was a pleasure for us to work alongside Joan.”